Re: [aspectj-users] Using AOP with J# on .net

Mik Kersten wrote:

So I guess the question is: why are you interested in J# support?  Microsoft
has announced that their Java VM is pretty much dead.  I agree that it would
be great to have AOP support in .NET, but it seems that should start via C#
and CLR extensions.  Microsoft still hasn't said anything concrete about
that, but earlier this week Gates did mention AOP as a priority.  Which is
great, assuming that they don't misconstrue AOP as the much more limited
attribute-oriented programming.

First of all, not looking to edit AOP with VisualStudio, but leverage it for the .NET platform; not the Microsoft JVM.

We have a project that runs/compiles for both .NET and J2EE. In J2EE land we use AOP to provide a post-production debugger. Works beautifully. However we require this in the .NET world, without resorting to lots of "if" statements and other fundamental changes.

The key thing is that we have 95% of our code that is cross platform; and for the 5% we use proxy objects, so by in large, the development team don't need to worry which platform they are developing for; .NET or J2EE. Its a thing of beauty. (incidentally you'd maybe surprised to know the list of Apache projects that compile straight under J# is very large!). Also while we are on the server side of things; there is an SWT port for .NET; for those that wish to code JavaSwing apps that are .net/java compatiable.

So with that in mind, there is no work being done for AOP support in the .NET world by this (ie this list) crowd of intellects?

Back to the top