Re: [aspectj-users] Weird bytecode generated by AspectJ 1.2

> 3) On the dev. site I saw "aspectj-DEVELOPMENT.jar",
> is this post-AspectJ1.2 with bug fixes?

Yes. Every time a commit happens, cruise control runs a new build and all
of the aspectj test cases. If the test suite passes, then
aspectj-DEVELOPMENT.jar is uploaded as the 'last-known-good' version.

> 2) When is the next bug-fix release, in which I can
> expect improvements. It looks like AspectJ is in very
> slow development (for an OSS project)

Other than taking the aspectj-DEVELOPMENT.jar, the next release of AspectJ
will be 1.2.1, which should amongst other enhancments include an internal
upgrade to the Eclipse 3.0 final Java compiler. We haven't set a release
date for that yet, but it will be weeks, not months.

Whilst we always could use more resource, if you look at the first six
months of this year you'll find that AspectJ has come on very quickly.
Since the release of 1.2, we've been focusing on a major round of
improvements in AJDT (and in AspectJ to support AJDT) that will manifest
themselves in the AJDT 1.1.11 release that will be put out in a matter of
days. When the AJDT release is out, we will then be focusing once more on
core AspectJ improvements, including fixing open bug reports, and
extending AspectJ for Java 5.

> 1) ApspectJ 1.2 does not appear to be ready for
> production - I just saw it behave absurdly with
> another jar file (see attachment none) and those were
> only the first things I try with it!

There are many AspectJ users doing serious development with AspectJ (and
from long before the 1.2 release) - see the thread 'List of main users' in
the archives of this list for some examples. We are trying to reproduce
your bug following the steps in the bug report, but so far have not been
able to. We can use the bugzilla bug report to communicate further on this
and bring the issue to resolution.

Regards, Adrian.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Hristo Stoyanov <hr_stoyanov@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
16/07/2004 04:40
Please respond to
aspectj-users

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [aspectj-users] Weird bytecode generated by AspectJ 1.2

Thanks Wes-,
I did file a detailed bug report (#69706). Since this
is a show-stopper bug for me, I am very concerned with
the quality of AspectJ 1.2, in particular:

1) ApspectJ 1.2 does not appear to be ready for
production - I just saw it behave absurdly with
another jar file (see attachment none) and those were
only the first things I try with it!

2) When is the next bug-fix release, in which I can
expect improvements. It looks like AspectJ is in very
slow development (for an OSS project)

3) On the dev. site I saw "aspectj-DEVELOPMENT.jar",
is this post-AspectJ1.2 with bug fixes?

Thanks
Hristo