RE: [aspectj-users] Using AOP with J# on .net

I have a bit of both, having built an AspectJ plugin for J#'s predecessor
VJ++.

J# can be used as an editor for AspectJ, and the compiler executed either on
the command line or invoked as a command from VisualStudio. However, you'll
find this mode cumbersome since J# understands neither J2 nor AspectJ.
Since the AspectJ tools are intended to extend J2 platforms, there won't be
tool support beyond using J# as an editor, just as there isn't javac
support.

So I guess the question is: why are you interested in J# support?  Microsoft
has announced that their Java VM is pretty much dead.  I agree that it would
be great to have AOP support in .NET, but it seems that should start via C#
and CLR extensions.  Microsoft still hasn't said anything concrete about
that, but earlier this week Gates did mention AOP as a priority.  Which is
great, assuming that they don't misconstrue AOP as the much more limited
attribute-oriented programming.

"Gates told the architects that Microsoft would be embracing model-oriented
architecture and aspect-oriented programming."

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/A453734B3782CAFDCC256ED000171C8D?OpenD
ocument
<http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/A453734B3782CAFDCC256ED000171C8D?Open
Document&pub=Computerworld> &pub=Computerworld

Mik

--

http://kerstens.org/mik