Re: [aspectj-users] Incremental and runtime weaving support ?

> I'm worried (again) about performance. Is thisJoinPoint a
> performance bottleneck? Implementing Ron's proposal would be a bad
> idea from a performance point of view? If so a lazy loading strategy
> would be useful to populate thisJoinPoint.

Jim and Erik had a paper at the AOSD conference that discussed the performance of if(enabled) (it's pretty good) - see http://hugunin.net/papers/aosd-2004-cameraReady.pdf.

AspectJ 1.2 also has a new option -XlazyTjp (guess what that does ;) ) which makes the performance much much better in the cases where advice uses the non-static portions of thisJoinPoint.

On the point of changing a service implementation, the following sample code shows a neat way to do this using proceed (it implements a per-instance delegate, other variations on the theme may not need this level of complexity).

/**
 * @author colyer
 * Runtime delegation configured on a per-instance
 * basis.
 */
public class SimpleDelegationExample {

        interface ICanDoIt {
                void doIt();
        }

        static class CanDoIt implements ICanDoIt {
                private String msg;
                public CanDoIt(String s) {
                        this.msg = s;
                }
                public void doIt() {
                        System.out.println(msg);
                }
         }

                ICanDoIt a = new CanDoIt("I can do it");
                ICanDoIt b = new CanDoIt("You can do it too");
                a.doIt();
                b.doIt();
                ICanDoIt c = new CanDoIt("We really should do this more often");
                // try running this program with and without the next two lines commented out to observe the difference
                DelegationMgr mgrForA = DelegationMgr.aspectOf(a);
                mgrForA.setDelegate(c);
                a.doIt();
        }

        private static aspect DelegationMgr pertarget(canDo()){
                private ICanDoIt delegate;
                public void setDelegate(ICanDoIt delegate) {
                        this.delegate = delegate;
                }

                pointcut delegationScope(ICanDoIt delegate) :
                  execution(* ICanDoIt.*(..)) && this(delegate);

                Object around(ICanDoIt d) : delegationScope(d) {
                        return proceed(delegate != null ? delegate : d);
                }
        }
}

-- Adrian