Re: [aspectj-users] Weaving Java Source Code - java.lang.StackOverflowError

Hi James,

Did you mean to write pointcut ThrowableInitializer(...) rather than constructor?

Can you post the *exact* test code that you'd *expect* to work for StackOverflowError but that doesn't? What is the code that does the "notification"? I suspect that there's something wrong with your pointcut definition (or your advice code!) for StackOverflowError but that you have it right for Throwable. Is this the code?

aspect VirtualMachineErrorHandler {
   pointcut constructor(java.lang.StackOverflowError t):
       execution(new(..)) && target(t);

   before(java.lang.StackOverflowError t): constructor(t) {
      //notify SO Error - what goes here?
   }

}

What happens if you try the same thing for your own user-defined exception that extends Throwable? that extends StackOverflowError? (i.e., advise the constructor execution of UserSOE, and write a test program that constructs one)?

When you are running in the debugger, if you step into the constructor init method, does it run the advice? For that matter, try using jdb to set a breakpoint in the advice code to see when it is running.

Ron Bodkin
Chief Technology Officer
New Aspects of Software
m: (415) 509-2895