From: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Russell Miles
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:13 PM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aspectj-users] OT: Crosscutting concerns and XML

Hi Jose,

Cheers for the reply. I had actually read the article (and it's a good one
if anyones interested) but it doesn't quite hit what I was talking about.
Aspectwerkz provides a different set of mechanims  for implementing
crosscutting concerns in Java ultimately. I am looking at applying
crosscutting concerns to XML itself, as the target if you like. It may be
that the XML definitions that exist within Aspectwerkz could provide a
starting point for crosscutting definitions that are to be applied to XML
(instances and/or schema?) but it doesn't directly address what I'm
considering. But, I have to be honest, this is just an idea
(applyingcrosscutting concerns into xml) at the moment and I was wondering
if it was one that had already been thought of and worked upon somewhere
else in the community.

I guess I am trying to figure out if the same advantages that we get from
aspect oriented approaches implemented for Java (increased modularity of
crosscutting concerns, and ultimately flexibility in the design) could be
applied to the definitions and processing of XML. I am also looking at this
from the perspective of the standards committees that I work on and how they
are looking at XML because some of issues they have appear to be
crosscutting and so that led me to my question.

Thanks for the pointer though :-)

Cheers,

Russ