[aspectj-users] Once again aboutn non-this access

Hello,

Three days ago I have sent the question to this mailing list about
possibility to distinguish access to this and foreign
objects with AspectJ pointcuts. I received no replies to my message.
I wonder if this mailing list is the right place for asking such
questions? Its it really checked by Aspect-J developers?

I briefly repeat my message here. To be able to efficiently implement
persistence and remoting aspects, it will be very useful to be able to
distinguish access to self instance fields and access to fields of
other objects (non-this access). In last case, such accesses should be
wrapped with advice code which is responsible for object loading.
But there is completely no need to insert such code for access to self
instance variables. Right now I find only one way how to express
correspondent pointcut in AspectJ: comparing result of this() and
target(). But it is translated by AspectJ in runtime check! So it is
in any case impossible to avoid AOP overhead for accessing self
instance fields.

Actually what I want to know
1. Is such feature currently supported by Aspect-J?
2. If not - what is the reason:
- nobody requested such feature before
- technical problems with implementing this feature (it seems to me
that there are completely no problems)
- some ideological arguments against adding this feature
- this feature will not be used by most of Aspect-J users
- performance is not critical for most of Aspect-J users.
3. Also are there plans to implement it in 1.2 version of Aspect-J?

--
Thanks in advace,
 Konstantin                          mailto:Konstantin.Knizhnik@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top