Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ and JBoss AOP implementation

Arun,

I agree with Wes.  The other key points to keep in
mind are:

1.  From a Standards and Architecture perspective,
using the JBOSS AOP solution becomes pracitcally like
using a product/ framework to be embedded in the App
Server's (whichever one) environment.  To have
Enterprise-wide adoption this can be a major issue.
Especially as most App Server vendors will provide
their own framework (e.g. BEA) as AOP is not a part of
the J2EE spec.  Obviously support for JBOSS AOP will
be bottom of their agenda.
2.  Integration with every App. Server platform
releases now becomes an issue. Whereas the binding of
AspectJ to the Java platform reduces the domain and
makes it a problem for the AspectJ group to keep up,
not that of a particular corporation.
3. Why would I like to replace programming language
semantics with a declarative structure?  It would be
acceptable to provide declarative encapsulation of
advices for example, if I were planning to be able to
hot-deploy/ replace advices.  However I would still
like to have the ability to program in a progamming
langauge - it is just simpler and easier to do.  That
is why while we have J2EE descriptors to describe
defined, repetitive actions, we dont replace Java with
J2EE deployment descriptors.

Again, I have to caveat with I dont have much
experience with JBOSS AOP, though I do intend to test
it out soon.  Also, JBOSS AOP needs JBOSS 4.X which is
still not a production release ( another reason why I
could not consider it in my project).

I would also like to note that I do not have a problem
with JBOSS as an Application Server/ EJB engine. I am
using it for my client, will be using it in my
products, etc.  I have also used BEA, Websphere, etc.
for years and while JBOSS does not have the adoption
of those App Servers, it will become a valid player
(similar to Tomcat and Apache).

Regards,
Nikhil

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=44473

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/~checkout~/aspectj-home/doc/faq.html#q:aspectjandj2ee

> I'd be interested in knowing whether JBoss aspects
> do by default.
>
> Wes
>
> Arun Natarajan wrote:
>
> > "vendor (read platform) lock-in" ???
> > I don't think this is true, you can get the api
> and the classloader and use
> > them in any other set up. That's what the JBoss
> site says.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arun N

=== message truncated ===