RE: [aspectj-users] when final is not

Title: RE: [aspectj-users] when final is not

I agree with Ron that the ability to specify the constraints you want on your aspect using isFinal() or @privileged is a better way to go than to limit the aspect compiler.

And yes Yes YES an Xlint option, because we know that the mistake the programmer is likely to make is not to forget to declare error if the pointcut unintentionally hits one of the known final classes, but to fail to realize that there is a final class somewhere down in the depths of the system that might be affected by the aspect, and so not even think about the possibility that such a constraint might be needed.

Finally, I agree with Gregor that the implementation is not the aspect, and we want to watch what unconscious assumptions and mental models we are using for thinking and writing about aspects.

However, I also think it is possible to say 'the aspect modified my final class' while thinking 'the aspect modified _the externally visible behaviour of the part of the system implemented within_ my final class'. As long as we are careful about what we are thinking, and are confident that our listeners won't be confused or misled, IMHO the concise form is acceptable.

Elizabeth

Back to the top