Re: [aspectj-users] Language: support for modifiers in TypePatterns

>Like Ron, I find the isInterface() style easiest to read right now.
>However, knowing that the attribute style will be coming to the pointcut
>language very soon once J2SE 1.5 is out, and being wary of pushing too >many new elements into the pointcut language, I think we should take a
>good hard look at the attribute style. If we can find a way to do this
>that will be compatible with the use of attribute-matching pointcut
>expressions in general then that has a strong appeal to me...

I think using an attribute style will be more incompatible, because you can use these pseudo-attributes to pick out types that the compiler doesn't control (e.g., in java..*). By contrast, AJ developers are already used to the notion of having primitive pointcut descriptors supplied, and I don't think isInterface() is hard to read.

I'm curious why you're reluctant to add more primitive PCDs.

> Especially Jim's suggestion that the attributes could be defined in
> some package - can we take this to the point where there is nothing
> special about these particular attributes as compared to any others
> that we might wish to pick out in the future?
Again, I think these attributes would have to apply to code the compiler doesn't affect.

>Whatever route we go, there still remains the ambiguity in some
> situations of whether the qualification refers to *this* or *target*.
Agreed...

Ron

Back to the top