Re: [aspectj-users] record/replay with AspectJ

Hi, Jan.

Jan Van Besien wrote:
I think AOP (AspectJ) could be a perfect tool for writing a framework to record and replay the execution of a Java application. I was thinking of serializing al the arguments for every method call (in some scope) etc to XML (I should also keep track of which method was called), and then replaying it by parsing the XML stream, and using Java reflection.

I'm implementing that in this product:
http://untrod.keihanna.ne.jp/whitedog/index_en.html

Though the page has only poor description, I think this image
can describe the idea.
http://untrod.keihanna.ne.jp/whitedog/images/oss_aspect.png

The system records the method call, serializes it to XML, sends
to other clients and plays the method call using reflection when received the XML.

see list page for sample aspect code:
http://untrod.keihanna.ne.jp/whitedog/list_en.jsp

Server and Client Library are available at:
http://untrod.keihanna.ne.jp/whitedog/WhiteDogSystem-0.9.1-full.tar.gz
and simple GUI aspect generator is also available at:
http://untrod.keihanna.ne.jp/whitedog/WhiteDogStudio-0.0.1.tar.gz

But documents in these archives is written in Japanese.
English versions are in progress(not yet).

I think such message recording/playing system has a great potential.
I use this for network application sharing, but there could be
many applications.

takao.

Back to the top