RE: [aspectj-users] Aspect Weaver

Thanks for your prompt responce. This information is going to be very useful.
Trishan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hugunin [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 11:46 AM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [aspectj-users] Aspect Weaver

AspectJ-1.1 implements weaving only at the bytecode level.  There is no intermediate source code for you to look at.  If you want to examine the generated code you can either use javap if you like looking at java bytecode or you can run a java disassembler such as jad on the generated .class files.  We’d love to support the old source code weaving form, but it would be about twice as much engineering work to implement the weaver to operate on both bytecode and source.

We get three advantages from the switch to operating on bytecode in 1.1.  Aspects can apply to .jar files for which source may be unavailable, aspect weaving can be done at load time in custom ClassLoaders, and our weaving implementation can be cleanly separated out into a back-end for the eclipse compiler minimizing coupling between the compiler and the weaver.

Erik Hilsdale and I just finished writing a paper that describes much of AspectJ’s weaving architecture and looks into the performance impact of AspectJ both on compile times and on the generated code.  This paper is the first one on my web site at http://hugunin.net/papers.html.

-Jim