Re: [aspectj-users] aspectj concerns

Ray -

I'm in a similar position.

I feel that many of the anxieties you list approach zero if the project has a solid suite of
automated regression tests.  Additionally, I personally find it easier to explore a "risky" new
technology with good unit tests by my side every step of the way.

That being said:

> - there are bugs in the ajc (as with any software of course) and I have
> not had a chance to explore them - however, exposing clients to that set
> of bugs would be dangerous for our reputation.

You may be interested in the thread
"ajc vs. javac - commercial application - convincing the boss".

> - the need to use using ajc over javac could presents a presentation
> problem as well as an actual risk.

From my point of view, this is the heart of the matter. My strategy is to learn AspectJ thoroughly
(you'll only be trusted if you know what you're talking about) and sell automated testing as
powerful risk management.  In fact, our first use of AspectJ is to build a new test framework.  An
exciting moment for me was realizing what a perfect application this was for AspectJ.  Once
AspectJ proves itself there we'll use it to address more invasive crosscutting concerns.  I'm
confident that with this strategy I'll succeed in getting my organization to embrace AOP.

-Peter