[aspectj-users] aspectj concerns

I am excited about AOP and would dearly love to use it in some of our upcoming projects.

AspectJ appears to have considerable mind share and I thought it would be appropriate to look here first.

Having explored the technology I find myself with the following concerns:

- the application of aspects through point cutting requires a new language.  The language is not Java and is not standardized or even close to being standardized.
- the definition of pointcuts is both semantically exotic and frankly intimidating.  The ability to shoot yourself in the foot, up the bum and in the head several times over with a single pointcut is all too apparent.
- there are some problems with serialization in the AspectJ implementation that would potentially hurt - the FAQ says it mucks around with SerialVersionUID
- there are bugs in the ajc (as with any software of course) and I have not had a chance to explore them - however, exposing clients to that set of bugs would be dangerous for our reputation.
- the need to use using ajc over javac could presents a presentation problem as well as an actual risk.

Given all of the above am wary of proposing ApectJ.

I acknowledge that this is a conservative perspective on some very exciting technology.  It reflects my knowledge of how difficult it can be to introduce our clients to 'new' technologies and practises.

I would welcome comments from AspectJ supporters and advocates.

Best regards,

ray

+44 (0) 20 7448 9751 (Office)
+44 (0) 77 7930 5855 (Mobile)