Re: [aspectj-users] OutOfMemoryError while building an AspectJ project with AJDT1.1.4

Hi,

Firstly, I've always extended the amount of storage available with
Xmx256M rather than Xms256M - I don't know if there is a real
difference, one sets the initial size, one sets the max size.  I
would *hope* if you set the initial size to 256M then the max size
is initialized to match it ... I'm sure someone else can comment
on this.

That said, I'd be interested to see what happens if you try this ...
(its new in 1.1.4 for very basic debugging of just this
 kind of situation)

In the Project Properties page for your project, select 'AspectJ' and you
should see an option that says 'Create a structure model during
compilation' - can you turn that option *off* and retry a build of
your project?

This will give us an indication as to whether it is the size of the
structure model that represents your built project that is causing
the OOMException.  This is a key difference between building
offline via ANT and building within Eclipse, offline compilations
will not usually create the model.

Without the structure model, you will not see a correct outline
view for your files, you will not see the gutter annotations marking
where advice is in effect and you will not be able to use the AJDT
visualiser.  The built code on the disk will be OK, it is only the
structure model that is not created.

And can you possibly let us know:
- How many files in your project?
- How 'crosscutting' are your aspects - very hard to quantify I know
  but are they typically things like trace that hits every file or
  less pervasive than that?

cheers,
Andy Clement
- AJDT Developer

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           Guangjing Zhou      |
|         |           <gj_zhou@xxxxxxxxx> |
|         |           Sent by:            |
|         |           aspectj-users-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           25/09/2003 19:17    |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           aspectj-users       |
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [aspectj-users] OutOfMemoryError while building an AspectJ project with AJDT1.1.4           |
  |                                                                                                             |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have just installed AJDT1.1.4 by hands with Eclipse
2.1.1. Then I converted a Java project to an AspectJ
project. But I got an AspectJ error saying
"OutOfMemoryError thrown null" when I tried to build
the AspectJ project with Eclipse.

I tried to put "-vmargs -Xms256M" into the command
line to start the Eclipse. It does not help at all. I
also used Windows 2000 Task Manager to monitor what
happened. The JVM just simply aborted by itself when
the memory ussage reached around 100M. The same
project was built fine with Ant and AspectJ1.1.1.

How can I change the settings of Eclipse or AJDT to
make this project built?