Re: [aspectj-users] CNET News.com Article on AOP

> Indeed, the JBoss crew view aspect-oriented programming as a means of
> implementing attribute-oriented programming, and that perspective is
> clear in the article. And therefore it's also the emphasis of their
> message, namely fighting C#. This is probably an attempt to pull
> together with the rest of the Java world, by focusing on a common
> enemy in Microsoft.
>
> However, the article does discuss defining rules and enforcing
> policies for the entire system, which isn't something that
> attribute-oriented can do (at least not completely). Given the
> audience is non-programmers, I think the description is reasonable.

I remember reading in the early 90s popular articles on OO. One of them
said "In object-oriented programming there is little difference between
what are data and what are instructions." But, just as with OO, if you
don't define the terms class, object, method, or inheritence what you say
will have to be in general terms. Given that the AOP article didn't
mention the terms crosscutting, scattered, tangled, join-point model, or
advice I think it did a good job.

-Macneil

Back to the top