Re: [aspectj-users] ajdoc

Hi Timo,

You are absolutely spot on, there is no ajdoc tool in AspectJ 1.1. I am working on getting something going as there were severe problems with ajdoc and Java 1.4+ so it was removed pending a rewrite and hopefully this will result in inclusion back in the AspectJ suite eventually.

However, whilst I'm trying to find the time it is possible to use the last version of ajdoc in AspectJ, version 1.0.6 I believe, to complete the documentation capability but it must be used with a Java 1.3+ development kit. This can be achieved by installing AspectJ 1.1 for development and Aspect1.0.6 for documentation as they will happily sit together on the same machine. However you must install the appropriate versions of the aspectjrt.jar into the ext directories for each version of Java (see below for more information). It's a bit messy but I have it working for comparison purposes and it does the job for now.

Java1.3+ ext directory -> Copy in aspectjrt.jar from the version 1.0.6 installation of AspectJ
Java1.4+ ext directory -> Copy in aspectjrt.jar from the version 1.1 installation of AspectJ

Finally, you must ensure that when you run the ajdoc script from the AspectJ 1.0.6 bin directory that you have amended the scripts or the environment to use the right version of Java, in this case 1.3. Like I said, this is NOT pretty but it does work. If anyone has more elegant means of accomplishing this then I'd definately be interested.

If you have any hassles the don't hesitate to give me a shout and I'll try and walk you through it but some things depend on the locations of directories on your platform etc.

Cheers,

Russ Miles