Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ & static advice

Sorry, we didn't revise that FAQ statement after removing static
advice or upgrading the implementation to 1.1.  I'll do that.
Our position on performance has always been:

  AspectJ performance should be on par with the same functionality
  written without aspects.  Any significant difference is a bug.

But we have no benchmark suite, so we can't prove that's true.

The additional cost of running non-static advice is of course
aspect instantiation and dynamic dispatch.  We're looking at
marking advice final to help VM's optimize away the dispatch.
AspectJ 1.1 introduces more call indirection than 1.0, but,
we believe that it should be mostly optimized away.

I'll send another email starting a thread about performance,
so we can get some heuristics and experience reports to guide our
statements and drive any fixes.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Wes

Wojciech (Voytek) Dzidek wrote:

Hello,

In the AspectJ FAQ it says that "In the absence of a benchmark suite, AspectJ probably has an
acceptable performance for everything except non-static advice. Introductions and static advice
should have extremely small performance overheads compared to the same functionality implemented
by hand."

Yes, in the Recent Changes - 0.8beta2 document it says that static advice has been removed from
the language "The most significant change in the language semantics is the removal of static
advice. Advice declarations may no longer be static, and all advice runs in the context of an
aspect instance."

Thus, my question is whether the statement in the FAQ still makes sense with respect to the new
versions of AspectJ. Can advice still be static to avoid (to paraphrase the quote in the FAQ)
"non-acceptable performance".

Thanks,
WD.

AspectJ FAQ Source: