[aspectj-users] Variable evaluation in debugger not working with aspectj project - Known but not public limitation of aspectj?

Hi all,

we are evaluating aspectj regarding its usability in future projects.

With eclipse 2.1.1 and ajdt 1.1.3 ist seems that one has only very limited
possibilities when it comes to debugging even regular java classes. For
example when trying to display variables while stepping through a method
the debugger in most of the cases reacts with a "Error evaluating" window
stating "foo cannot be resolved". I would say the probability of getting
this error while in a regular java class (no aspect) is about 0,8. So far I
have only read that  it is not possible to set breakpoints in aspects and
that debugging into aspects is not fully featured yet, but if the
possibilities of debugging my regular java classes would also be limited
when using an aspectj project that would really decrease development
productivity a lot.

Did I made some mistakes in configurating aspectj or is this a known but
not public limitation of the current aspectj version?

It would be great if someone could post a brief note and give me a hint.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

Oliver

Back to the top