[aspectj-users] Any useful examples

Been following Aspects for a year/18 months but never really dived in,
principally because I still don't see the point ;-)

Sure they're useful for adding logging (but that's only one thing), I can
see that, but many of the other examples (eg strapping on a UI) would be
better solved using other techniques (eg patterns, MVC etc). Anyone have, or
can point me at, an example of a non-trivial application of aspects that
either couldn't be solved another way, or is much, much easier solved using
aspects ? The example doesn't need to be complex, but what it's doing should
be non-trivial (if you see what I mean).

On a related note, anyone know if there's a plugin for IDEA ? Scanned their
boards and a couple of developers are using AspectJ with IDEA, but no
mention of how (by hand using Ant or using a plug-in or something else ?)

Thanks in advance.

Edward

PS

I've downloaded the examples and faq, and (maybe I'm not seeing the wood for
the trees) but I couldn't see such an example there.

Back to the top