[aspectj-users] Bytecode weaving and JRE classes

Hi,

From the AspectJ FAQ:
"If you have an application for using aspects and bytecode, please let the AspectJ team know of your requirements."

I'm evaluating AspectJ and Jiapi for a specific project.
https://swingaway.dev.java.net/

I'm trying to implement a java.awt.Toolkit (and all that it produces) so that AWT and Swing applications can be accessed locally, or remotely. It currently looks like piggybacking an implementation on top of an existing one would be far less work than writing one from scratch. AspectJ and Jiapi both look like they would make the
piggybacking approach far easier.

From the AspectJ FAQ:
"And just to state the obvious: do not use bytecode weaving, at load-time or otherwise, to modify .class files protected by license, without permission from the licensor."

Do Sun JREs permit or prohibit bytecode weaving?
Is the answer the same for java.*, javax.*, sun.*, com.sun.*, and other (com.mycompany.* etc...) packages?

Thanks,
Curt

Back to the top