[aspectj-users] load-time weaving question (w.r.t. obtaining permission from third-party software licensor)

Hi All!

The AspectJ FAQ states

"do not use bytecode weaving, at load-time or otherwise, to modify .class files protected by license, without permission from the licensor."

Just to clarify, is it necessary to obtain permission from the licensor if I'm performing load-time (as opposed to compile-time) weaving? I can understand why it would be necessary if I were making modifications to the binary .class files (compile-time weaving) but because no modifications are being made to the binary .class files via load-time weaving, does this not free me from the obligation of obtaining permission? I guess it's an intellectual property violation regardless of the mechanism used to change the logic, but I just want to be crystal clear of the possible implications of doing this!

thanks in advance
- Garry

p.s. I am aware that AspectJ 1.1 doesn't yet have a load-time weaving capability but that a proof-of-concept custom ClassLoader will soon be available to try this out.

Back to the top