RE: [aspectj-users] Eclipse Aspect Visualizer (part of AJDT)

Here are my instructions for installing and using AJDT with Eclipse 3.0.0.
Feel free to send me suggestions for improvements to them.

---

To install Eclipse 3.0.0 ...

- Download eclipse-SDK-3.0M2-win32.zip from http://eclipse.org/.
- Unzip this file.

AspectJ Developer Tools (AJDT) is an Eclipse plug-in.
For documentation, see http://eclipse.org/ajdt/.
To integrate AJDT with Eclipse ...

- Run eclipse.exe
- If HTTP requests must go through a proxy server,
  - Select Windows..Preferences..Install/Update
  - Click the "Enable HTTP proxy connection" checkbox
  - Enter the "HTTP proxy host address"
  - Enter the "HTTP proxy host port"
  - Click the "OK" button
- Select Help..Software Updates..Find and Install..
- Select "Search for new features to install" and click "Next >".
- Click the "Add Update Site..." button.
- Add an update site called "ADJT" with a URL of
  http://download.eclipse.org/technology/ajdt/update.
- Click "Next >".
- Click the checkbox in front of "Eclipse AspectJ Development Tools"
   and click "Next >".
- Click the "I accept ..." radio button and click "Next >".
- Click the "Finish" button.
- Click the "Install" button.
- When downloading finishes, click the "Yes" button to restart the workbench.
- Select Window...Preferences...Workbench...File Associations...*.java.
- Select "AspectJ/Java Editor" and click the "Default" button.
- Click the "OK" button.
- It may be necessary to restart Eclipse for this change to take effect.

To create an AspectJ-enabled project in Eclipse ...

- Select File..New..Project.
- Select "AspectJ" and click "Next >".
- Enter a project name.
- If the project directory already exists, deselect "Use default",
  select the project directory and click "Finish".
- If the project directory doesn't exist then the default can be used.

To configure the project directories when the project
already has src and classes subdirectories ...
- Select Project ... Properties ... Java Build Path ... Source.
- Click the "Add Folder ..." button.
- Select the existing src subdirectory and click the "OK" button.
- A dialog will ask "Do you want to remove the project as source folder
  and update build output folder to ".../bin"?
  You want the first part but not the second.
  Click the "Yes" button.  The second part can be fixed next.
- Change "Default output folder" from ".../bin" to ".../classes".
- Click the "OK" button.
- Select Project...Rebuild All.

To debug an application that uses AspectJ ...

- From the "Run" menu, select "Debug...".
- In the Debug dialog, select the "Stop in main" checkbox and
  click the "Debug" button.
- Use the "Step Into" and "Step Over" buttons to step to lines affected by aspects.
  These are indicated by a special icon in the left-hand margin.
- Point the mouse at an icon to display a tooltip that
  indicates the advice code that will be executed.
- Right-click ans icon to display a popup-menu containing
  a cascading menu labelled "affected by advice".
- Select an advice description from this menu to view the advice code.
- Click the "Back" button to return to viewing the original source code.

Limitations

- Breakpoints cannot be set in advice code.

To use the AspectJ Visualizer ...

- Select Window...Show View...Other...
- Expand the AspectJ tree node.
- Select "Aspect Visualizer" and "Aspect Visualizer Menu"
  ("AJDT Event Trace" is just for debugging AJDT).
- Click "OK".
- Two new tabs are added to the same window that contains the "Console" tab.
- Rebuilding the project may be necessary to populate the new tabs.
- Select the "Aspect Visualizer Menu" tab to control which aspects are being
  visualized and see what colors are assigned to them.
- Select the "Aspect Visualizer" tab to view where aspects are applied in classes.
- To limit the display to a single class or package, select it in the Package Explorer.
- To limit the display to only classes affected by aspects, click the Limit button.
- Double-click a colored bar to scroll to the corresponding source.
- Point the mouse at the aspect icon in the left margin to see
  which advice code is being used.

To run the AspectJ compiler (ajc) from Ant within Eclipse ...

- Add fork="true" to the ajc task.
- In the Package Explorer window, right-click build.xml and select "Run Ant..."
  or
  - select Window...Show View...Ant
  - click the "Add Buildfiles" button (has 3 plus signs on it)
  - select build.xml and click the "OK" button
  - expand the tree view of the targets
  - double-click the target to run

To view source using a Smalltalk-like browser ...
- Select Window...Open Perspective...Java Browsing