Re: [aspectj-users] Yet another newbie

Thanks, Wes! That nailed the problem, both the yellows and the reds.

But FYI the problem is more serious than a red squigly under aspect declarations as the documentation says. This causes the red error indicator I reported, or at least they appear when annotations are enabled and disappear when they're turned off.

It would also help if the upgrade instructions are moved to the top of the page. Right now they're buried at the bottom of what looks like like a boring upgrade history list of no relevance to newbies.

Just swap the order; that should do the trick.

At 1:43 PM -0700 7/29/03, Wes Isberg wrote:
 > Actually I do, and did, but missed it somehow.

It's easy to miss amidst the screenshots:

  Disabling early problem indication for AspectJ elements:
  The early problem indication feature of the JDT underlines
  potential errors in the editor as you type (before
  compilation). This feature is not AspectJ-aware. As a
  result, AspectJ keywords may be highlighted as errors by
  underlining with a req "squiggle" [...]

  You can disable these annotations by selecting "Preferences"
  from the "Window" menu and then expanding the "Java" node.
  Click on "Editor" and then select the "Annotations" tab.
  Finally, deselect the "Analyse annotations while typing"
  option and press apply

 For example, at line 65 in Display1.java

             objects[i].paint(g);

See the next lines:

    static aspect SpaceObjectPainting {
        abstract private void SpaceObject.paint(Graphics g);

But that's pure happenstance.

The IDE support should eventually be able to navigate
to an inter-type declaration from any use thereof.
It has such links back for advice, but apparantly not for
declarations.  That would be a good request-for-enhancement
to submit as an AJDT or AspectJ AJDE/IDE bug.

Generally, it's a safe bet that the compiler and the
example code is correct, because so many people have beat
on it, and that the IDE support is mostly correct but
incomplete.  It can help a lot with documentation and
with prioritizing new features when new users point out
confusing parts and behaviors.  Thanks for the feedback.

Wes