From: Maximilian Stoerzer [mailto:stoerzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 10:11 AM
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] Drawbacks of AOP

Hi everybody!

I think there is a difference in OO and AOP. In OO, you have a
structured way to find out which method is actually called by simply
making your way up the inheritance hierarchy.

In AOP you can not do that, at least not as it is implemented in
AspectJ. Without tool support you might not even be aware of an aspect
influencing (or even replacing) a method you are calling.

Any aspect can globally influence any method of the system. There is no
structured way to find out what functionality is actually executed by
reading the source of a class anymore.

So I think the problem about "awareness" is quite important - that's why

there is so much effort to create tools to reveal this influence.

Best Regards,
    Max

Robert Wenner wrote:

>I wonder how much this "aware of the aspect" problem counts in some
>years...
>
>After all, we already got used to overwriting methods.
>Or does anybody reject OO because it isn't  as obvious as in
>traditional C programming which method will in fact be called?
>
>Robert

Maximilian Stoerzer
Lehrstuhl Software Systeme - FMI - University of Passau
Tel: +49 851 509 3096, eMail: stoerzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx