From: Lesiecki Nicholas [mailto:ndlesiecki@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, 17 January, 2003 1:06 pm
To: Stefan Hanenberg; aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx; Jim.Hugunin@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] Intertype Declaration for only one target ?!?!?!?

> public void VisitedElement+.accept(Visitor v) {v.visit(this);}

Why? This is equivalent to:

> public void VisitedElement.accept(Visitor v) {v.visit(this);}

(no plus). Children of VisitedElement inherit the accept method normally.

In the case of inheritance heirarchies, "Type+" is often functionally
equivalent to "Type". For patterns like (Foo || Bar) then the static type
of  this becomes very confusing.

> It just says something like "this is at
> least of type ...".

I agree, but I am willing to live with this (firm) guarantee since *I*
control the members of the type. In the case of (Foo || Bar) I don't see
how AspectJ can make any (coherent) guarantees about the type of this.

Cheers,
Nick