RE: [aspectj-users] Constructor pointcut

Constructors are tricky in Java, and that's exposed in AspectJ.  Here are some rules of thumb I use:

* If you want the join point on the "outside" of object creation, use:

    after() returning (Foo f): call(Foo.new(..)) { ... }

  you might be tempted to use "this" or "target" to expose the new object, but remember
  that if you're on the "outside" of object creation, the object itself might not be
  created yet... it only exists "on the way out", when you return the object.

* If you want the join point inside a particular constructor, use:

    after(Foo f) returning: this(f) && execution(Foo.new(..)) { ... }

  remember, though, that if you use "before" advice here, the body of the constructor
  will not have run, and so the object may be somewhat uninitialized.

* In the rare case that there are all sorts of constructors for the object
  that call each other with this(...) and you want exactly one join point
  for each initialization of Foo, regardless of the path of constructors it takes,
  then use:

    after(Foo f) returning: this(f) && initialization(Foo.new(..)) { ... }

Enjoy,

-erik

Back to the top