[aspectj-dev] Getting paid for maintaining AspectJ (was: Project Lead election ...)

Renaming the thread, so nobody is hijacking anything. ;-)

If there is any funding, I know nothing about it. Maybe it goes to the
Eclipse Foundation, or maybe it simply does not exist. If any of you
guys have any connections into SpringSource or other organisations
relying on AspectJ, feel free to drop my name. I would be open towards
any suggestions with regard to sponsoring, well-paying full- or
part-time positions etc. Over all those years, I have done everything
for free, deciding every day whether to make money with my daytime job
as a freelance agile coach or to dedicate/donate time to AspectJ. If
that conflict of interestes could be alleviated, it would be easier for
me to focus on AspectJ more.

[rant]
When occasionally raising bugs or opening PRs for Spring, which often
are not even directly related to AspectJ at all but rather specific to
Spring AOP only - e.g. a draft for better control flow pointcut support
there, so not every user needing cflow must switch to native AspectJ
- I feel like they are not really aware of the fact that their whole DI
framework depends on a mix of not only their own proxy magic but also
AspectJ pointcut parsing and matching. Not to mention spring-aspects
with native AspectJ support for auto-injecting Spring beans into POJOs,
declarative transactions etc. They rely on the AspectJ team's work - I
am humbly standing on the shoulders of giants here - but do not seem to
notice, that I am one such team member when I approach them. They simply
wait for AspectJ versions supporting the latest JDKs to automagically
pop up and then bump versions in their POMs. Or they raise bugs like
https://github.com/eclipse-aspectj/aspectj/issues/257, I fix them, and
then there is not even any re-testing feedback.
[/rant]

Apart from just doing AspectJ or AJDT commits, it would be nice to be
part of a team and collaborate with bright minds who share AOP-related
(or agile-related) interestes with me. It would help to ensure the
future of AspectJ, AJDT and Spring, if I could share knowledge with
others as the coach and mentor I always missed when making my first
steps with the AspectJ code base. I still only know a fraction of what
Andy does, because I simply do not have time to read all the source code
from back to back. Even if I did, it is not the same as someone
explaining it to me. As much as I love my independence, both learning
and teaching are very rewarding experiences for me. Without that
mindset, I could not have been a successful agile coach for so long. Not
having to work on AspectJ as a lone warrior or at least getting decent
pay for it would be nice.

Cheers
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Matthew Adams via aspectj-dev schrieb am 09.01.2024 21:10 (GMT +07:00):

> Not to hijack the thread, but to me the larger issue that I’m worried
> about is whether there is funding from the likes of Spring & others
> that heavily depend on AspectJ. I hope Alexander gets a well-paying,
> full-time position, if that’s what he wants, from one of those
> organizations to carry on Andy’s torch. Those dependents certainly owe
> him.

Back to the top