Re: [aspectj-dev] NotSerializableException: org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl$StaticPartImpl

I think all the fields mentioned that aren't basic strings are
populated 'on-demand' based on the string data  (or other factors that
don't need serializing).  That includes method/class fields and the
Cache field you mention - so making those transient is fine.

As John points out you will have incompatibilities between
weaved/unweaved if the fields are included in the serialized object.
Interestingly this is not a new problem, and I have no bugzillas
relating to it being an issue so I guess it really doesn't come up
very often.

If you want to rebuild the values for the fields, the target types
containing them should all have a method in like this:

private static void ajc$preClinit();

which you could invoke to do so.  But you'd have to ensure it gets
called just after deserialization.  I would need to check what else
ajc$preClinit() might do but I'm pretty sure it is just those tjp
values.

I can see arguments both ways: making tjp fields transient and calling
ajc$preClinit or making them serializable if it is tricky to get
ajc$preClinit called at the right time.  If compile time weaving it
doesn't seem as much of an issue for incompatibility between
weaved/unweaved form because the unweaved form is gone.  With ltw
maybe there is more chance of encountering the unwoven form again
sometime later.

Andy