[aspectj-dev] Using Aspect to pass a metadata as a new parameter through SOAP

Hi All,

Sorry to bother you with email. I am new to aspectj and finding it
really useful to write modular cross cutting concerns.
I am trying to implement a distributed tracer for an enterprise web
application, which uses a Metadata object
passed along the requests. I am trying to use aspects to automate the
process of adding the metadata to HTTP header. But I am facing a road
block in using aspects.

1. The Architecture of my application goes as below:

Users ----> (HTTP) FE ---------> (SOAP or RMI) BS (SOAP/RMI)----------> BE

The application is written using J2EE. The web container talks to the
EJB container through SOAP. It uses the Axis implementation of the
soap protocol.

2. Till the FE-Endpoint(where it makes a call to the BS), the HTTP req
is passed as argument along all the function calls. So I added the
metadata as string in the header. This code is modular.

3. But from the End point at FE, when a soap call is made to BS(Web
service) the appropriate method is run . This is done through SOAP (as
SOAP messages). I have to modify all function calls in the flow from
FE to BS and BS to BE to carry extra parameter (which is the
metadata). I also need to modify the WSDL document which the SOAP
server, client agree upon to notify this new parameter.  I am trying
to figure out if this can be automated using aspect too.

I don't think aspect provides a way to send an extra parameter through
SOAP to a VM on another machine.

I would be much happy if someone can please let me know if this can be
done using aspects.
Highly appreciate any pointers or a quick work around in this regard.

-Ashiwan

Back to the top