[aspectj-dev] Feedback requested: AJDT versioning

Hi all,

Because of the major changes that have occurred in AJDT over this last
year, we are considering bumping up the major version number soon.
This would most likely be for around the release of Galileo in late
June.  This change in versioning would symbolize a new level of
maturity of AJDT

However, before deciding on a new versioning scheme, we'd like to
discuss the options with the community and come up with something that
is indicative of AJDT's maturity, but at the same time would not be
confusing to new or existing users of the tool.

Option 1:
Next AJDT for Eclipse 3.4 becomes AJDT 2.0
Next AJDT for Eclipse 3.5 becomes AJDT 3.0  (was AJDT 1.7)

Benefits: this gives us a lot of room to increment AJDT's minor
version numbers for 3.4, and we can continue to increment the major
version every year for the next release of Eclipse
Disadvantages: breaks away from the tradition of incrementing minor
versions in step with Eclipse and micro versions throughout the year.
Could be confusing for existing users.  Also, AJDT 3.0 would not be
significantly different from 2.0 (in fact they should be mostly the
same except for changes specific to Eclipse 3.5).

Options 2:
Next AJDT for Eclipse 3.4 becomes AJDT 2.6.6
Next AJDT for Eclipse 3.5 becomes AJDT 2.7.0

Benefits: continues with the tradition of keeping minor versions in
step with Eclipse minor versions

Disadvantages: What happened to 2.0 and to 2.5?  Could be confusing
for new users.

Option 3:
Keep as is
Next AJDT for Eclipse 3.4 becomes AJDT 1.6.6
Next AJDT for Eclipse 3.5 becomes AJDT 1.7.0

Benefits: Each version of AJDT is only an incremental improvement over
the last one, and so perhaps bumping up the major version is not
justified.

Disadvantages: AJDT has changed significantly over the past year, that
perhaps this is justified.

Your input on this issue is greatly appreciated.  Also, other
possibilities will be considered if someone suggests them.

thanks,
--a

Back to the top