Re: [aspectj-dev] Introducing JDT Weaving

Hi Eric!

That sounds like great news. I quickly looked at the description of
these Equinox aspects and I wonder how all this now works on the
technical side of the weaver.

Equinox Aspects is an extension to the Equinox runtime that allows you to use AspectJ LTW within an OSGi environment. Basically it calls the existing AspectJ weaver functionality from the classloading of OSGi, deals with the dynamics of OSGi and takes care of which aspects to weave into which bundles.

Just like OSGi gives each bundle a classloader, Equinox Aspects gives each bundle a weaver and feeds it with the appropriate food.

Does AJDT now always weave at load time using Equinox or does Equinox
also support something like static weaving?

Equinox Aspects supports only load-time weaving, but implements a caching mechanism for woven bytecode. The actual weaving occurs only once as long as you don't change your configuration.

Cheers,
-Martin

Eric