Re: [aspectj-dev] Packaging AspectJ 1.5.3 for Gentoo Linux

Hi.

The best option for me then would be to build your distribution of BCEL (and package it as aspectj-bcel or something like that).

Do you maintain a tree for the source code of BCEL? Do you still code on it?

I am still waiting for a reply on build.jar

Regards

Jean-Noël

On 7/10/07, Holger Hoffstätte < holger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jean-Noël Rivasseau wrote:
> I am trying to build AspectJ from source as I want to package it for
> Gentoo. The Gentoo packaging philosophy is that everyhting must be built
> from source, and dependencies should be taken from the system.

As fellow Gentoo user I approve! :)

> I checked out AspectJ 1.5.3 source from the Eclipse.org
> <http://eclipse.org/> CVS server. So far so good. But my first problem
> is that I noticed that the AspectJ distribution ships a .jar of Apache
> BCEL, required for building. This JAR file differs from the vanilla JAR
> file that we produce under Gentoo, because the hierarchy in the bundled
> jar is org.aspectj.apache.* whereas in the vanilla distribution it's
> apache.org.*
>
> So the compilation fails. Did you actually modified the BCEL jar? And why??

Stock BCEL was unloved for a very long time and the AJ team found many
bugs that required patches. There were some discussions about moving to
ASM and/or possibly merging the changes back to BCEL upstream but I don't
know what happened to that. So it seems you will have to package the
patched aj-bcel jar.

regards,
Holger

Back to the top