RE: [aspectj-dev] Loadtime Weaving Deadlock

By the way, excluding ObjectInputStream+ from weaving works around the deadlock issue for us.

From: aspectj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:aspectj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matthew Webster
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 3:54 AM
To: AspectJ developer discussions
Subject: RE: [aspectj-dev] Loadtime Weaving Deadlock

Ron,

>I’m looking at the code for Sun’s 1.5.0_09 VM and there’s no synchronized block in verifySubclass. Instead it is invoking concurrent map methods like >putIfAbsent. So perhaps they improved this behavior during the development cycle of Java 1.5. So apparently this is also a bug in earlier 1.5 VMs.
You are right. I was looking at 1.5.0_05. I have now upgraded.

>I do like your idea of avoiding the problem by not reading this information if not needed. However, it does still leave a risk of deadlock when printing weaving >information. It would prefer to just not read this information when load-time weaving, given the risk of deadlock. Is this information also exposed for use >reflectively at runtime via thisJoinPoint? Minimally, it seems like there should be a flag to avoid the problem.
This sort of thing should really be transparent to the user. We have -X and -Xlint options to cope with instability in new options but I don't like the idea of using them to workaround the shortcomings in old JDKs. However the modifications required will be non-trivial as I have just discovered from the number of failures in the test caused by simply ignoring the source location information.

The Glassbox forums seem to be out of action so I will comment on your suggest WRT ObjectInputStream when they are available.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM United Kingdom Limited
Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)

"Ron Bodkin" <rbodkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

28/02/2007 18:14

Please respond to
AspectJ developer discussions <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'AspectJ developer discussions'" <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: [aspectj-dev] Loadtime Weaving Deadlock

Hi Matthew,

I’m looking at the code for Sun’s 1.5.0_09 VM and there’s no synchronized block in verifySubclass. Instead it is invoking concurrent map methods like putIfAbsent. So perhaps they improved this behavior during the development cycle of Java 1.5. So apparently this is also a bug in earlier 1.5 VMs.

I see your point about the problem with my workaround idea: the system is loading a user-defined subclass of ObjectInputStream to verify it, so it’s not possible to know what subclass(es) to preload. My mistake.

I do like your idea of avoiding the problem by not reading this information if not needed. However, it does still leave a risk of deadlock when printing weaving information. It would prefer to just not read this information when load-time weaving, given the risk of deadlock. Is this information also exposed for use reflectively at runtime via thisJoinPoint? Minimally, it seems like there should be a flag to avoid the problem.

Another option might be to exclude subclasses of ObjectInputStream from weaving: that’s probably a good workaround for our needs…

Re: [aspectj-dev] Loadtime Weaving Deadlock

Ron,

I am puzzled that you think this problem has gone away in JDK 1.5. A quick look at the code shows a synchronized block in ObjectInputStream.
verifySubclass() using a static variable so the same global lock would seem to still exist. I am also puzzled by your suggested solution. I am not sure how you could persuade serialization to preload classes because you don't know what they are until you read the object stream.

A quick search of the weaver module shows that ResolvedTypeMunger is the only a single use of ObjectStreamClass. Perhaps if this information is only needed for weaveinfo messages then when that option is not used we could avoid reading it. There is already a check to avoid reading the attribute for aspects built with versions of AspectJ older than 1.5.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM United Kingdom Limited
Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)

"Ron Bodkin" <rbodkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

27/02/2007 16:43

Please respond to
AspectJ developer discussions <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'AspectJ developer discussions'" <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[aspectj-dev] Loadtime Weaving Deadlock

Two of our users have reported a deadlock in load-time weaving on a 1.4 VM, e.g., see
http://www.glassbox.com/forum/forum/viewthread?thread=146

This happens in a 1.4 VM because ObjectInputStream locks sun.misc.SoftCache (used to hold verified subclasses), whereas in 1.5 they use a ConcurrentHashMap so you don’t get the deadlocking behavior. I’m thinking that the best fix for this is to somehow force ObjectInputStream to load a class before weaving so that it won’t trigger class loading during weaving. This would be a fix/work-around in the 1.4 VM adapter we’re using, so it’s not an AspectJ issue per se, but I’d value input on how to best resolve this.

Thanks,

Ron

Unless stated otherwise above: