Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ Decompling

On 07/08/06, wag81uk <wag81uk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am I correct in believing that it is not possible to determine what join
points are defined by a pointcut from the Aspect.class file ?

For a given build of a system (aspects+classes) you can create a
symbol/relationships file that contains the information about which
join points were affected by advice (and from the advice determine the
pointcut) - we don't make it easy to parse this symbol file at the
moment.  A form of this relationship structure is used by AJDT to show
crosscutting in the UI.

The information on what was matched is not currently captured in the
aspect .class file - because you may reuse that aspect over and over
in different configurations and each time it could affect other types
in different ways, we don't want to rewrite the aspect .class over and
over each time when the aspect hasn't actually changed.

Rather, that in order to achieve this it would effectively be necessary to
trawl thought the Aspect.class and Java.class files matching join points to
their pointcuts?

We have thought about making it easier to identify in a particular
class how it was affected by aspects, that was an intended capability
of the tool I mentioned in my previous post - it would tell you how
code was affected without you having to interpret strange bytecode
sequences in the javap output.

Back to the top