Re: [aspectj-users] Re: [aspectj-dev] aspect keyword != @Aspect ?

Thanks Wes for the explaination.

It makes total sense that the annotation based pure java style aspect would compile into something different. That statement on the next page about the aspect keyword and @Aspect can be a bit confusing if you don't take a minute to stop and think about how it must be working (like I didn't :] ). I think It might make sense to update the documentation I refered to define equivalence in as semantically equaivalent but implemented differently, or have a footnote with a link to the whats different.

As for the build step, I think you're probably right and I've got something wrong. But I'm not sure what I'm not doing correctly. I compile the aspect into a jar by itself:

<!-- trimmed down to the illustrate the basic usage, not the actual build.xml -->
<iajc
  source="1.5" target="1.5"
  outJar="myaspect.jar"
  XterminateAfterCompilation="true">
  <sourceroots>
    <pathelement location="aspect"/>
  </sourceroots>
</iajc>

Later, I run iajc again to apply the aspect to a simple HelloWorld example:

<iajc
  source="1.5" target="1.5"
  outJar="example.jar">
  <aspectpath path="myaspect.jar"/>
  <sourceroots>
    <pathelement location="example"/>
  </sourceroots>
</iajc>

Then I run the app with both jars on the classpath that I'll hit that NoSuchMuchException I described before. I've also tried a variation where I just did it all with one iajc task and put the aspect and example sources into the sourceroots element, but got the same results.

Is there an option that says weave annotation style aspects? I didn't notice one.
Are there any examples the demonstrate compile time weaving an annotation based aspect?

- Eric

Wes <wes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Eric -

Thanks for a well-worded question; you put a lot of work into the investigation.  Overall, annotation-style and code-style aspects should be semantically the same, subject to the exceptions mentioned in the documentation (including the aspectOf() method) and subject to any bugs in implementing annotation-style. However, there is no guarantee that code-style and annotation-style are implemented the same way.  If the annotation-style aspects didn't apply at all, I would suspect mistake in the build configuration for that aspect.

The documentation on @AspectJ style aspects describes some differences from code-style aspects, including the aspectOf method:

  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/released/adk15notebook/ataspectj.html
  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/released/adk15notebook/ataspectj-aspectof.html

(See also exceptions for proceed(), privileged, thisJoinPoint, etc.)

We recommend against decompiling to understand AspectJ semantics because the implementation techniques can vary between releases or styles of AspectJ and because it's hard to do.  More often than not, users find "problems" -- things that shouldn't work (but actually do) -- because they misinterpret the bytecode.  In this case, you found a true difference in the aspectOf() method, but one which would have been easier to understand as an exception from reading the documentation.

(This is not to say the documentation is easy to read or complete; please let us know when/where it isn't.)

Thanks -
Wes