[aspectj-dev] Build ordering question

In a large project we have a monitor module that is monitoring UI events, which depends on some types defined in a gui module, i.e., to compile monitor we need gui on the classpath. Now we subsequently want to weave monitor into gui. We have found that if we use ajc –inpath gui.jar –aspectpath monitor.jar –outjar wovenGui.jar, this can result in verify errors. However if we use ajc –inpath gui.jar –aspectpath monitor.jar –classpath gui.jar –outjar wovenGui.jar, then it seems to work properly. See for example PR 145693 for a simplified test case.

I wanted to confirm that this is just a bug. I.e., that it should be valid to weave into a module with aspects that were compiled against that module, as long as this doesn’t change types in a way that breaks the aspect module? Naturally we *could* change the build process to build gui and monitor together (i.e., both as sources or potentially both on the inpath), but it would be unpleasant to have to build both of them as sources together.

Back to the top