RE: [aspectj-dev] How does AspectJ implement load-time weaving?

Murali,

This is what actually happens. The byte-code for class C is loaded and passed to the weaver. Before attempting to match any pointcuts references to all super-types (classes, interfaces and aspects) are resolved. Therefore the weaver may actually have the byte-code for classes B and A _before_ the JVM. This process is the same whenever weaving takes place (compile, binary, load) which is very important.The reference to the JVM specification is not quite correct:

        "Before a class is initialized, its direct superclass must be initialized, ..."

There is documentation for using the AspectJ language, tools and APIs. There is also some documentation to allow the extension of the compiler. However we do not have detailed documentation on its design and implementation.

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx

http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Please respond to AspectJ developer discussions <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by:        aspectj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx