Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ Custom Attributes

Wes,

  I am Canadian, so that was my 0.02 CAD. :-)
Yes it could be my personal opinion, but only because I work directly with the bytecode much more then an average Java developer.

The compatibility guide you pointing to have little or no details about what exactly has to stay in the bytecode to maintain the binary compatibility besides some general statement. Actually I meant that overall usage of the bytecode produced and executed with AspectJ will grow and if format will have to change it would be more painful in the future then now, because tools that are using weaved classes would have to get updated version or use some conversion tool before moving to new aj runtime, or aj would have to keep track of its own dialects of the bytecode and support all ancient data structures.

Even now I've seen less issues with AspectJ reweaving comparing to the problems when result of the bytecode transformation done by 3rd party tool became incompatible with AspectJ. But that could be because people come to us (the ASM developers) when their code fail on some exotic bytecode produced by AspectJ. :-)

I do believe that in the future, when AspectJ gain more popularity we'll see even more then now and I don't think that it would be a good strategy to wait for this to happens.

Also note that Java5 annotation attributes can be actually used with bytecode version down to 45.3 (JRE 1.1).

  regards,
  Eugene

Wes Isberg wrote:
Hi Eugene,

That's more than your personal .57 rubles - the long-term implications *are* critical.

Right now, the backwards compatibility we sign up to is stated here:

  http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/doc/next/devguide/compatibility.html

It doesn't include promising other tools that we won't change
our bytecode format.  Fair warning is the best path at present.

Thanks,
Wes