Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ Custom Attributes

Hi folks,

It is good to see such discussion here and I would like to add few comments.

I have the same feelings as Alex that AspectJ should use annotation attributes instead of inventing the custom attributes for internal things.

Answering question Andy Clement asked "Attributes are valid entries in the class file, so why would we need to change them into annotations?" there are few good reasons.

First of all, as Ron pointed out bytecode is not a closed box. There are lot of tools that need to process it and understand the data structures that may be affected by such custom processing. This is actually very similar to XML - everybody acn read and understand it without the code that originally produced it and in many cases even without documentation about its structure. For instance tool like jarjar can perform string relacement (e.g. regexp based) even if it has no clue about meaning of some substring, because user can tweak it using additional knowledge about AspectJ.

Another huge reason is that annotation attributes allow to reuse and benefit from the class constant pool. So, you can share the same string, class and other literals and constants with the rest of the class bytecode. That not only decreases the bytecode size, but also give additional simplicity for static bytecode analysers (including tools like jarjar).

With growing popularity of bytecode processing tools (jarjar, cobertura, terracota, aspectj, you name it) you can't really count that proprietory attributes would survive all the transformations, so you have to recover from the case when one of the tools dropped them from the bytecode. However that won't be needed if well-known annotation atributes are used even for older pre-Java5 bytecode. Basically this would make any proprietory aspectj data much more transparent to the 3rd party tools.

  regards,
  Eugene

Ron Bodkin wrote:
My statement was true: by default ASM will give errors when processing
bytecode with custom attributes. I didn't mean to imply that there's some
fundamental problem (I think that's how you interpreted it). Of course ASM
can handle them, but until now the default policy has been to not accept
unknown attributes, and to put the onus on the caller to specifically enable
them. I previously submitted a patch to jarjar so it can use ASM to preserve
AspectJ attributes (this is a case where preserving attributes is clearly
critical).

On the good news front, Eugene Kuleshov is proposing a means to facilitate
using custom attributes and having the AspectJ attributes supported by
default.

When this came up before on the ASM mailing list, one ASM developer asked
"why aren't you using annotations"?  In general, using annotations would
pick up better tools support. If a change like that were contemplated,
clearly 5.0 would be the release for it, although I don't think it would be
worth a delay, an increase in instability, or breaking backward
compatibility to achieve.