Re: [aspectj-dev] adding an aspect at runtime to an object

#: Luca Ferrari changed the world a bit at a time by saying on  9/26/2005 10:35 AM :#
Hi,
I'm new to AOP and I've got a doubt due to a piece of code I've seen a few time ago. The code was like the following:

Object o = new MyObject();
MyAspect a = new MyAspect();
a.addObject(o);

the idea was to use the aspect a to insert methods and variables into the o object. But it sounds like the addObject method does not exists in AspectJ, thus my question is if it's a feature removed (or another language that I cannot find) and how I can merge an aspect with an object at runtime. And what happen then? Is there a dynamic bytecode manipulation?

Thanks,
Luca

Afaik, you cannot 'add'/'merge' an aspect at runtime. Instead, what can be done is enabling/disabling an aspect.

The difference is that AJ should know where the aspect will be used (the joinpoints) when creating the bytecode (for offline weaving) or at class load time (for load time weaving).

The above piece of code doesn't look to me as something of AJ. It rather looks like a proxy-based solution, but I may be wrong :-s.

hth,

./alex
--
.the_mindstorm.