Re: [aspectj-dev] IntelliJ IDEA 5 open API

Hi Mik

I don't know how you back up the statement "nowhere near Eclipse's
openness". IDEA certainly lacks decent documentation about plugins
support and API. The v5 though is a great step forward - though most
of the API was already there for v4.x...

There has been an AspectJ extension for IDEA v4.x that was done by the
JetBrains folks - but this one never reached an "official" status. The
OpenAPI was around as well - under some "try it and tell us what you
think" umbrella. Perhaps someone will finally volunteer to do one full
blown AspectJ 5 plugin for IDEA v5.x. From my experience it would be
really straigthforward to do one that supports @AspectJ (ie no custom
parser) - though some features are still missing (f.e. custom code
completion handler in know file types). For the ".aj" parsing, the
IDEA plugin mechanism requires to write a lexer/parser and I am not
sure the work that has been done in the AspectJ version of the JDT
could be reused.

Alex