Re: [aspectj-dev] Need help interpreting ajc NullPointer dump

Thanks Andy.

Indeed, I'm using annotations in the source code and matching against them in pointcuts. I'm also compiling everything from source.

I actually eliminated the problem when I refactored my pointcuts (for other reasons...), but I'll try to reproduce a test case and enter a bug for it.

dean

Andrew Clement wrote:

Hi Dean,

As you can probably see from the type thats throwing the NPE - it's related
to annotation matching.  Something 'thinks' its annotated but on being
asked for its annotations it returns null.  Unfortunately, this could be
anything: type/field/method. If you want to raise a bug we could continue
to diagnose it in there - if your app is particularly complex then I
*could* perhaps release a patched build of AJ that will print out the
'thing' that has annotation problems.  Are you even using annotations in
your base application or in your pointcuts? Are you compiling everything
from source or are you binary weaving aspects into some pre-compiled code?

cheers,
Andy.
---
Andy Clement
AspectJ Development

Dean Wampler <dean@aspectprogr amming.com> To Sent by: AspectJ developer discussions aspectj-dev-bounc <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> es@xxxxxxxxxxx cc Subject 03/07/2005 15:25 [aspectj-dev] Need help interpreting ajc NullPointer dump Please respond to AspectJ developer discussions <aspectj-dev@ecli pse.org>

I'm working with a recent development build of AJ1.5. It's throwing a
NullPointerException in
org.aspectj.weaver.patterns.WildAnnotationTypePattern.matches,
WildAnnotationTypePattern.java:56. Ajc also dumps the byte code for all
the methods in my java class it's compiling.

I suspect an ajc bug ;^), but I'd like some advice interpreting the
output of the dump so I can determine what in my class causes the
problem. While it dump's the byte code for all methods in the class, it
doesn't indicate where the trouble spot might be. Any suggestions are
welcome.

In the meantime, I'll try commenting out bits to see what might cause it
to work again. ;^)

TIA,

dean

--
Dean Wampler, Ph.D.
dean at aspectprogramming.com
http://www.aspectprogramming.com
http://www.contract4j.org
I want my tombstone to say:
    Unknown Application Error in Dean Wampler.exe.
    Application Terminated.
    [Okay]    [Cancel]

Dean Wampler, Ph.D.