Re: [aspectj-dev] Compiler and IDE feedback

Information about which advice has been applied at which join points is
returned to the IDE in a 'structure model' - AJDT sets a switch in the
compiler just before performing a build indicating that the compiler should
create a structure model.  The model is in two parts, a tree structure of
the elements in your project (so projects contain packages contain types
contain methods) and then a relationships map that specifies two nodes in
the structure and the relationship between them (method X is advised by
before advice from aspect Y).  A correct structure model is available to
AJDT when the compiler indicates it has finished.

When operating on the command line we provide the '-showWeaveInfo' option
which informs you about what was woven where - effectively it dumps the
relationships to standard out that would have gone into the relationships
map.

It isn't too difficult to bootstrap the compiler such that you can get it
to build you a structure model outside of AJDT and then programmatically
access it through the AsmManager class in AspectJ.

Andy.
---
Andy Clement
AspectJ Dev
clemas@xxxxxxxxxx

             Christoph
             Bockisch
             <bockisch@informa                                          To
             tik.tu-darmstadt.         AspectJ developer discussions
             de>                       <aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             aspectj-dev-bounc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx                                        Subject
                                       [aspectj-dev] Compiler and IDE
                                       feedback
             16/06/2005 15:27

             Please respond to
             AspectJ developer
                discussions
             <aspectj-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Hi,

I have a question regarding the coupling between the feedback presented
by the AJDT and the AspectJ compiler.

As far as I understand it, the standard AspectJ compiler, which can also
be used from the command line, is used by the AJDT. This compiler
generates the mapping between join point shadows and aspects on the fly.
But only when the compilation is triggered within the AJDT. If the
compilation is startet from the command line, no such mapping is generated.

Is this description correct? It may be that my understandings are not up
to date. In this case I would much appreciate a short description of how
and when the relevant data for IDE feedback is gathered.

Many thanks in advance,
Christoph

--
Dipl.-Inform. Christoph Bockisch    bockisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Software Technology Group           Phone:  ++49 (0) 6151-16-3608