[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[aspectj-dev] Enhancement request/suggestion to define synchronized as a join point
- From: Ray Sutton <tardis@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:56:46 -0600
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
I’m relatively new to AOP/AspectJ and new to this list; if this topic
has previously been discussed I apologize for wasting people’s time.
I can see some value in exposing the synchronized verb as an AspectJ
In my experience it is reasonably common for an application to behave
reasonably in a pre-production environment but to perform badly under
load, the cause often proves to be a synchronization issue. To make
matters worse, in my experience, the source typically turns out to be
a third party jar over which we have no control.
I believe a synchronized join point could help as a diagnostic tool
to assist in investigating such problem in the following ways; and
may have other applications as well.
1. Providing the ability to track elapsed time of synchronized
methods and blocks
2. Providing the ability to log execution sequences leading to
3. Providing, through late weaving, the ability to investigate
the behavior of classes shipped only in binary form.
4. Provide the ability to be very specific in the targeting of
instrumentation, thus minimizing the impact on the system under
Commercial products exist that provide similar capability but theses
are typically very expensive.
Possible additional benefits
1. Ability to enforce synchronization on selected variables at
2. Ability to retrofit synchronization to existing code.
1. Before advise may need a modifier to select between arrival at
the join point and acquisition of the monitor.
2. Possible issues with the execution state with respect to
synchronization of code within the advise.