Re: [aspectj-dev] intro question about aop

Hi Sree,

AOP can help because security, when applied in an aspect-oriented way, can be applied and amended at any point during the development process. Say you want to add security factors, like encryption, early on and identify areas where the encryption is needed - you can then develop an encryption aspect that effectively works on those areas. At another point in time you discover that you also need password control, you can then create another aspect that applies this concern.

Basically, security, in any of its forms, is a separate concern from your software's core concerns so it is a good candidate for modularization in an aspect. There are load of books, mine and Ramnivas' that come to mind :), that cover some of the ways to apply security. Ron has delivered some great talks at AOSD conference's that might be of use too. All in all, there should be plenty of information available to get you started.

Cheers, Russ