Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ reflect API

That s a very interesting debate.

We have a strong background in AW so let me sum up what we had in there.
In AW we are using ASM (the bytecode toolkit not the AJ thing) (after
having tried BCEL and Javassist). We have a fairly clean abstraction
called ClassInfo that mimic java.lang.reflect and can be created
wether using a delegation to java.lang.reflect, or using an ASM based
bytecode parser. We f.e are using the bytecode parser based version to
match the pointcut at weave time (to not trigger any class loading)
and the reflect version f.e. when we expose the pointcut matching API
to third parties, or when doing residual testing etc. This whole thing
has a lazy parsing mechanism, memory sensitive caching etc.

I don't think we really need such an abstraction there though actually
(a) or any solution *not* using real Java 5 annotations injection at
"AJC code style aspect compilation".
And I have to say that parsing the bytecode brings you back to the
common bytecode issue: "where is the bytecode " (finding it thru class
loader resource streams usually work, but is not guaranteed, and fails
short if someone changed the bytecode at load time / runtime), once
parsed, should I cache the thing or parse it again etc etc.

So I would tend for a solution that does avoid bytecode parsing and
only trust java.lang.reflect for this need here. This means I would
tend to your (b) only, without fallback on (a) but with a path to (a)
for "prior to Java 5" :
-  use the @AJ annoations, exposing them as runtime visible, and
making sure that we ignore them during the world setting up in the
weaver for all code style aspect
- or define a replicate of those (I don't think it is so good) that
the weaver will ignore (but that means duplicate logic in the AjType,
one for code style, one for annotation style)

This indeed makes the compiled code style aspect bigger (how much) but
has the advantages of
- establishing one standard bytecode format for aspects. If you revert
the way we think, you can then see "old" AjAttribute as specific
AspectJ code style aspect enhancement (having the pointcut already
parsed etc, some compiler version info etc) but any third party can
ignore those.
- everything can be read using reflect. No extra bytecode parsing.
This should simplify the AjType API - and instead of having to deal
with bytecode parsing things, we have to deal with code style
compilation adding some Java 5 attributes (not saying it is easy..)

Some notes:
- such a "common" bytecode format is not tied to Java 5. Java 5
annotations are just a standardized bytecode attribute somehow, so we
can f.e. have ajc inject those even when not using the 1.5 mode (and
using backport for annotation style written with doclet). Then if
there is a need, the AjType API can be ported back to 1.4 using
backport (and just removing Java 5 specific syntax in the AjType API)
if someone really needs it (back to the parse bytecode issue but only
in the 1.4 mode, and it is a backport issue now..)
- I am sure some of ITD and things like privileged aspect that don't
exists in the annotation style due to java type checking enforcement
are a bit harder to modelize (since there is no @AJ annotation for
those anyway).

To sum up: I think (b) + the extra bit for the concepts that are
mising in the annotaiton style would be really nice, and help us to
use simple reflect API, while still providing a way to port the whole
to 1.4 if we really want to provide that feature.

Alex