Re: Perobject association (was: [aspectj-dev] pertypewithin() vs. pertype() association...)

I've been thinking about perobject aspects in the shower and I've decided that the current perobject aspects handle several concerns. I think it's worth dissecting them for greater clarity of thinking:

1) The set of types with which the aspect could possibly be associated
* This set of types is "prepared" in the current implementation to receive aspect association by adding an "invisible" ITD pointing to the aspect

2) The set of join points at which the aspect can become associated with an instance of one of the legal types * Note, this does not have to be implicit, there's room for programmatic association via some sort of associate() call per Eric's example:

    after() returning(Object o): call(* Factory.instanceOf()) {
        associate(o);
    }

3) The set of join points at which the aspect can become disassociated with a previously associated instance * The current implementation does not address this, though I wish that it did, see earlier email

4) The qualification of all advice declared in the aspect with an additional runtime test of the form
if(theInstance.hasTheAspectAssociatedWithIt())

Ideally, the perobject aspects would give the programmer control over all four concerns. Ok, that's all I have for now. Does anyone want to pick up this ball and run it the next few yards?

Nicholas Lesiecki, software craftsman
m: 520 591-1849
-----
Every time we sit down to eat, we make a choice. Consider a compassionate meal.

http://www.WhyVegan.org