Re: [aspectj-dev] Providing patches etc

Hi Kev,

We are more than happy to have people work with us on AspectJ and contribute
patches/etc.

You are right about the format for patches and they must be attached
to relevant bugzilla reports.  I think most bugs are currently
owned by myself, Adrian or Mik - but that is simply because we haven't
got a general ID against which can own them (we ought to set that up...) -
but if they haven't been accepted by the developer, that effectively
means they aren't being worked on.

Patches usually have to address an existing bug testcase or come with a
new test.  We use a couple of harnesses in AspectJ but basically
everything runs as a variant of JUnit now.  We have a very basic
'unit/functional' tests but nowadays most new tests are
practically system-tests since they all invoke the compiler against
some source and run the result - look at something like
Ajc150TestsNoHarness.java which shows how we use our ajcTestCase()
support.

Also, we won't put anything into the codebase unless it passes the
RunTheseBeforeYouCommitTests in the run-all-junit-tests project - this
executes all ~1450 tests currently written for AspectJ.  The build
machine will later run these on Java1.3 and Java1.4 (and shortly Java1.5).

Is there a particular area you want to look at - I could send a bug or
two your way if you like? theres more than enough to go round :)

cheers,
Andy.

---
Andy Clement
AspectJ
clemas@xxxxxxxxxx

Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

24/01/2005 07:26

Please respond to
aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aspectj-dev] Providing patches etc

Hi,

I'd like to get involved with the development of AspectJ, but I'm a
little concerned about how to go about sending patches etc.

I work on Ant (as a contributer, not hallowed committer status!), and
the rules for submitting patches are well-laid out and easy to follow.
For AspectJ, there are fewer if any rules/guidelines and I certainly
don't want to try to contribute in a manner that would cause grief to
the developers.

So assuming...
Patches have to be submitted in unified format
Patches to bugs are uploaded to bugzilla under the relevant bug
Standard Java code style guidelines (brace at end of line etc)

Would I be able to submit a general patch to the dev list for something
like a small refactoring?  Do all patches have to have a unit test?
What style of unit test do you deem acceptable (Junit, Jmock etc)?

For ant, most of the bugs are owned by "dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx", looking at
the AspectJ bugzilla database, it seems as if all bugs are owned by core
developers.  Does this mean that writing a patch that addresses one of
these bugs wouldn't be welcomed?

Just some questions
Kev