Re: [aspectj-dev] weaving incompatibility?

Hi Adrian,

thanks for the detailed explanation of the compatibility questions. That explains the problem I observed.

* An AspectJ program should always be run with the aspectjrt.jar runtime library that accompanies the distribution containing the compiler/weaver used to build it.

Interesting point. Which one? The one that is used to compile it or the one that is used to weave it?

However, instead of some IOException, what you should see is a nice message saying that the aspect was produced by a more recent version of AspectJ and cannot be read. Likewise, if you load a pre-aspectj 5 aspect into the AspectJ 5 weaver right now, you'll also see an IOException (odds-on). In M2 we'll detect that and use the back-level loaders to read it in.

Okay. Is there a bug to track this? I really would like to update the weaver of my weaving runtime but only if it allows to load/weave asepects that are compiled with any of the AJDT versions that are out right now (AJDT 1.1.x and AJDT 1.2.0Mx).

Thanks again,
Martin